Located: in the northewestern of Laos.
Total area: 6,196 square kilometers.
5 Districts: Houay Xay, Ton Pheung, Meung, Pha-oudom and Paktha.
Capital: Houay xay.
Bokeo is located in the northern part of Laos, 70% of the land is mountainous. Bokeo shares a 35 km on Land and the rest a 127 km of the Mekong River border with Thailand to the west, a 98 km with Myanmar, to the northeast with Luang Namtha and to the southeast with Oudomxay to the south with Xayabouly.
Sapphire is the most important mines and has been known for many centuries. Many historical sites could be found for instance; the trails of the city of Souvannakhomkham, one of the ancient cities in the 14th century. Ancient rocks namely; Hinsivaling and Nhonee (the rocky shape of male and female organs) found in the 5th century in Tonfeuang.
Before the foundation of Lao PDR. Bokeo was a town that wa fallen under the administration of the old and new colonialism. Since 1975 Bokeo was established as the branch of Luang Namtha Province. The name of Bokeo represented as there are many mines of sapphires.
The named "Bokeo" means the pits of sapphire or called "Keo-Praseuth" because it is a rich mining center for gold and sapphire. The Province is home to a large number of ethnic minorities, each with their own lifestyle and customs. Sapphire is the most important mines and has been known for many centuries.
Bokeo Province is in northern Laos, with its capital extending along the bank of the Mekong River. The three country borders' intersection (Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar), known as the "Golden Triangle", is located here. It has more than 400 villages, each with their own lifestyles and customs.
The most lucrative occupation in Bokeo is gold panning and digging for precious stones.
How do I get there?
* By air
Daily flight for Houay Xay - Luang Prabang - Vientiane Capital is served by Lao Airlines.
* By bus
Along the road N.13 north, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang - Oudomxay - Luang Namtha, then along the road N.3 passing through Vieng Phoukha-Houay Xay of the total distance 827 km.
Accommodation in Bokeo
Where to visit
* Vat Chom Kao Manirath : the religious site located on the top of small mountain.
* Sapphire Industry Plant : is located a 10 km north to Muong Houay Xay.
* The cave of Tham Lot : Tham Phrabat and Buddha footprint located in Nam Nhou area a 56 km from Houay Xay.
* Ethnic Culture : the tribe of Lantan at Ban Namchang, Hmong villages at Ban Salakham a 16-18 km from Houay Xay. Mouxeudam and kao (the black and white Mouxeu tribes), Koui, Yao, Akha or I-kor in Muong Meuang about 120 km from Houay Xay.
* The ancient town of Souvannakhomkham : located in the area of Muong Tonpheung district a 56 km from Houay Xay. remained as the trail evidence of the civilization and history. It was installed in the XIV century. The Buddha image of 7.11 meter wide and 7.22 meters high.
* Done Xao (on the Mekong) : one of the big island area of 38 hectares located near the golden triangle sites, the border of 3 countries : Laos, Thailand and Myanmar. Particularly in December. the wild forest flowers named Dokghiopar were opening in the island. It is very wonderful and keen to eyes.
* Hinsivaling and Nhonee : The symbol of the ancestors, the Hinduism Image. It was found in the fifth century and very sacred, its size of 3 meter round and 2 meter long. it is looked like the organs of the male and female and found in Ban Namkeuangkao village in Tonpheung district.
* Nature and Caves : in Pha-Oudom and Muong Paktha, there are hot spring water, windy hole, water falls, jungle and plenty of wild animals.